Saturday, August 30, 2014

Brief Thoughts- THE CRATER LAKE MONSTER (1977)


I picked up the Blu-Ray of this small budget horror film for $3 even though its disc co-feature is the awful GALAXINA. The film looks remarkably sharp for such a minor, regional movie made as cheaply as possible - it looks much better than other, more expensive movies from the same period. Strange. 

I can't say this is a great film but I can't find it in my heart to dislike it either. It is clear that a lot of care and work went into this film and it shows. Yes, the cast is a very mixed bag of merely OK thespians ranging from passable to dire and the effects are not the best. But the effort was made to craft a solid stop-motion monster flick with some colorful, likable characters and I had a good time with the entire affair. It's not for everyone but it is a fun B-movie that would be perfect for your lazy Saturday or Sunday afternoon viewing. 


No comments: