Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Whistler

"I am the Whistler, and I know many things, for I walk by night. I know many strange tales, hidden in the hearts of men and women who have stepped into the shadows. Yes ... I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak."

The Whistler was a radio show that started in 1942 and continued for 13 years until about 1955. It was a simple anthology program with a new story each week almost always focusing on the details of a murder and the eventual downfall and/or capture of the criminal. This downfall was usually because of some forgotten detail about the crime or sometimes a cruel twist of fate intervened in events to even the scales of justice. That often the justice meted out would never be known to the authorities was part of the thrill of the show which traded in suspense and heightened tension for its punch. Incredibly popular the show spawned a series of six films produced by Columbia Pictures starting in 1944 with THE WHISTLER and ending in 1948 with THE RETURN OF THE WHISTLER. Four of the series were directed by future gimmick king William Castle who was learning his craft at Columbia and churning out whatever project he was assigned. I've yet to see any of the Whistler movies but I recently got a set of four of them so a marathon viewing is probably in my near future.

If you've never listened to a Whistler radio show I recommend it. I've heard dozens over the years and always enjoy the experience. Here's one to start - LINK.



1 comment:

rhatfink said...

I watched a few of these on TCM a while back. They were very stylish and intriguing. You'll enjoy them, I'm sure!