Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mann of the west


I just caught up with MAN OF THE WEST (1958) and I just have to say-- DAMN!
Seriously- is there any more rock solid a guarantee of quality than the three word phrase 'Anthony Mann Western'? I mean DAMN! Look at the list of his westerns-

WINCHESTER 73
BEND IN THE RIVER
THE NAKED SPUR
THE MAN FROM LARAMIE
THE FAR COUNTRY
THE TIN STAR

All of them great with BEND being the weakest and it is STILL good. And there are more that I haven't even seen yet. Add to this his brilliant noirs and his fantastic historical epics made in the 60s and Mann may just be one of the greatest directors of all time.

But if you haven't seen MAN OF THE WEST do yourself a favor and spend the 99 minutes. You won't regret it. And don't watch the trailer first- it ruins some of the story in a way that I think stinks.

What a film!

No comments: