Sunday, January 27, 2008

Good Bye Dr. Shock


I received word yesterday that TV horror host Dr. Shock passed away. More accurately the man who played Chattanooga's Dr. Shock passed away. Tommy Reynolds was the man I watched host horror movies when I was a kid. In rural Tennessee there weren't a lot of options on the dial (I grew up with 3 channels only). But one of the highlights of my young life was getting to stay up late on Saturday nights to see Dr. Shock and his puppet sidekick Dingbat host movies. The theme music was the opening few minutes of the song Black Sabbath by the band of the same name. It was years before I learned that there were words to the song.

If there is any footage of the show I'd love to be able to see it. I wonder if adult eyes would be kind to jokes made 30 years ago by a local celebrity playing straight man to a puppet bat?

Good bye Dr. Shock. I've been missing you for years.

1 comment:

Dr. Gangrene said...

Another classic host passes away - first Vampira now Dr. Shock. Although he didn't have the national fame of Vampira, many young viewers like yourself grew up with Dr. Shock.

Thanks for posting this!